Thursday, January 14, 2010

In The Spotlight: Etude House Proof 10 Eye Primer

In a country like ours, primers are a must. These serve as a base for our makeup, enhance the vibrancy of the colors, and prevent makeup meltdown. These are just some of the many reasons why I always itch to try primers from different brands even if I already have more than enough primers for my personal use and occasional invites to do other people's makeups.

At the moment, I have about five (5) eyeshadow primers in my stash: UDPP, ELF Mineral Eyeshadow Primer, Smashbox Photofinish Lid Primer, TFSI and Etude House Proof 10 Eye Primer. While I've never bothered myself to review UDPP, TFSI, ELF and Smashbox, I feel that Etude House's eyeshadow primer needs a bit of an introduction.

Etude House Proof 10 Eye Primer

What the label says
Proof 10 Eye primer supplies coverage to eyelids and around the eyes to enhance eye shadow color and integrity for a longer lasting Perfect 10 look.


The applicator

How the primer looks like

EH Proof 10 Eye Primer is almost identical to UDPP, except that EH is a bit more liquid compared to UDPP and even TFSI. For a fraction of the price, I'll most certainly pick up EH Proof 10 Eye Primer over UDPP. On the other hand, the mineral eye primer from ELF remains to be my top eye primer of all time (unless I find an eye primer that can beat ELF). I mean, honestly, do I have to shell out $17 for a "[semi] high end" primer when a $3 drugstore eye primer can do the same job just as good as the expensive ones? I think not.


Yay!
  • Price. It's pretty cheap at Php298 (around $6).
  • It evens out the discolorations on our lids.
  • It makes eye shadows appear more vibrant and last longer on the lids.

Nay!
  • It dries a little too fast. You have to spread and blend the primer as soon as it touches your lids. This isn't a biggie, though.

In Betweens...
  • Packaging. While the packaging appears to be cute, it's somehow reminiscent of Urban Decay's annoyingly packaged genie-in-a-bottle. I wonder how I'll be able to get the last drop of this primer. Break it perhaps? And what's with the handle? It gets dirty so easily! I guess the only good thing I can say about the packaging is that it allows you to see how much product you have left. Other than that, I have no other qualms about the it.

To show how well Etude House's Proof 10 Eye Primer delivers, I decided to take eye shots of my eye makeup for two consecutive days (NOTE: I've been road-testing this primer for two weeks).

My daily routine is: When my beloved doesn't take me to work, I walk a distance of about a kilometer or so, under the sun, carrying about 5lbs of weight; therefore, I sweat.

EDIT: For all the eye shots, I used UDPP on my left eye (your right), and EH Proof 10 Eye Primer on my right eye (your left). See any difference?

After application. Taken by the window around noon.

After 13hours. Taken in the bathroom, with flash, under yellow lighting.

After application. Taken by the window around noon.

After 13hours.
Taken in the bathroom, with flash, under yellow lighting.

As you can see, my eye makeup did not crease nor fade even after 13hours of wear. What you are mistaking as proof of fading is the flash of the camera. Also, I think the difference in the lighting somehow affects the colors' appearance/vibrancy in the photos.

What do you think about Etude House's eye shadow primer? For me, it's at par with UDPP, Smashbox and ELF (why not TFSI? Because TFSI makes my eye shadows crease and fade). But since ELF's mineral eye primer is just half the price of EH, I'll probably stock up more on ELF. Sorry EH.

Others have sold/given away their UDPPs and TFSIs because of EH's Proof 10 Eye Primer. Will you ditch your beloved UDPP, too? I would, and I have!


27 comments:

Kay said...

thanks for the review Tish.. :)

finally, a locally available alternative to UDPP/TFSI..with a cheaper price tag.. lovely!

i will definitely be putting this on my lem list, probably once i finish up my UDPP..

btw, did u get the package already.. im worried it got lost.

jehan said...

how i wish i read more about EH's eye primer before buying banila co.'s eye primer which i believe just does the opposite of its intended purpose. or i just don't really know how to apply eye shadows yet, haha! thanks for this review...

kikayfetz said...

I just bought a tube of UDPP and now after reading your entry, I feel stupid for being too lazy to research on locally available primers :(

♥ mia said...

this is a really great review! :) i like how u compared it to all those other brands

i only have UDPP and i've been thinking of getting another primer as a backup. i might get elf's or etude house then

thanks! :)

Jem said...

nice review,hun!
right now im loving ELF mineral primer. it works just like udpp din,right?

i saved myself a lot of bucks by not buying udpp when i saw someone selling it for just 1k.

i have yet to try this primer, but based on your reviews, this is a must try!

Tish said...

Hi Kay! I got it already. Super thank you! Now I just need to look for more of it coz I have way to many lipsticks and glosses. hehe.

Thanks to EH for coming down here, we no longer have to buy from online sellers who overprice UDPP/TFSI.

Hi Jehan! I like Banilla Co. but I've never tried their eye primer. Now I guess I shouldn't even bother. Hehe.

Ouch! Sorry, Kikayfetz. I was supposed to have this up on the weekend but I figured that I don't have enough photos to prove how EH's primer works. You can always sell your UDPP to someone who doesn't know about EH yet. Haha!

Thanks, Mia. I'm glad you found this helpful. I've actually been thinking of doing a review on all eye primers; but it'll probably be in a video format. We'll see. hehe!

Tish said...

Yup! ELF works just as great as UDPP and so much better than TFSI (just because TFSI seems to have been designed for a much cooler climate) in my opinion. Smashbox is great too, but I really just don't think I need to spend so much on eye primers especially if there's a product that can do the same job just as well at a fraction of the cost. So technically, ELF Mineral Primer is still my favorite :) EH comes second :)

AskMeWhats said...

this is a great product, you know, its quite difficult to purchase eye primers down here as we always have to depend on online shopping :) thanks for the review

twinsouls888 said...

Thanks for this post, honestly I haven't tried any eye primer just yet but I will check on Etude and ELF eye primer. :)

Camille Santos said...

i want the mineral primer ffrom elf,ill try this too tish thanks for the review,the packaging is cute but its quite small din noh?

Ida said...

This is great, I love the price! Another item added to my Etude House list. I wish they'd open the Festival Mall branch already :)

notjustminerals said...

Like Ida, this goes on my list too. I haven't tried ELF's primer either. Thanks for the review.

- - aika - - said...

298 for a primer like this? WOW!

Tish said...

I feel you, Nikki. I used to do that before Etude House happened. It's a good thing EH has a primer that works in our tropical country. I just hope this will work just as well for those with super oily lids.

Em, if you can find the ELF Mineral Primer at the mall, go get it. I'd still choose ELF over Etude House :)

Yup, it's quite small, but it's not such a big thing for me. I have a lot of primers to go through anyway :D

One of the things to love about EH is the price. I'm officially saying good bye to Skinfood and The Face Shop.

You'll love ELF Primer, Nikki.

Yup! 298 for an eye primer! Weeeeeeeee!

CHARRY said...

wow nice review Tish! I'd like to get one too :)

Tish said...

Thanks, Charry. Go get one na!

donnarence said...

hi tish.. i am currently looking for a nice primer in replacement for my old artdeco and this one made my heart stopped!!LOL.. yay 298 lang... this is one is nice.. but i want get my grubby hands on elf primer.. mineral and the 1$ variant.. btw.. i forgot to answer your query way back the elf palette came from US.. may mga elf studioline sa landmark and galleria..

Carine said...

I'm gonna try ELF I think. If it's as efficient as UDPP, I don't see why i should buy the most expensive one :p btw I love the 2nd eye makeup, it's gorgeous !

Tish said...

Hi Donna. I don't think we have the ELF mineral primer here in the Phils. The only way you can get one is to order from online sellers. But because they double the price, you'll be paying $6 (shipping not included) instead of just $3. But if you don't want to order from online sellers, you can just go to Etude House and get their primer. I promise, it's just as good as UDPP.

I agree with you, Carine. That's the main reason why I'm never getting another UDPP. There's always ELF and EH.

I'm flattered that you like the second eye makeup. I actually love it, too :)

immarafrancesca said...

That looks really good for a 6 dollar eye primer. :) I haven't tried primers from ELF but I'm sure that I wasn't happy with MAC's prep + prime.

Thanks for the review and lovely blog too!

http://skincareandmakeupreviews.blogspot.com

acutelife said...

this review is most useful, I will skip on UDPP and try to get a hold of EH or Elf primer :) thanks!

MereMakeupManiac said...

thanks for the great review! btw your eye makeup looks are lovely!

Fifi said...

You know what, I checked on some online sellers here in Indonesia and this primer from Etude House is actually cheaper than the one from Elf. Lol. I guess I'm going to get Etude House then. I still have a backup bottle of UDPP but it this one does the job well, then I'll be saving my UDPP for special occasions only ;)

Thanks for this great review!

Tish said...

I haven't tried MAC's prep+prime so I can't compare it with ELF's $3 primer. I hope you'll like ELF's mineral primer when and if you decide to give it a shot :) Thanks for stopping by, Mara.

You're welcome, Acutelife. I'm glad you found this helpful. Let me know you like the primer(s).

Thank you, MereMakeupManiac.

Oh man! How in the world can it be cheaper than ELF? Now I'm wishing it was a lot cheaper too! haha! Let me know if it works for you, okay?

By the way, I use UDPP for special occasions too, or when I do other people's makeups, or when I can't find my other primers. haha!

+ S T A R + said...

thanks for the review tish.

sana meron pa nito sa mega. naghahanap na kasi ako ng magandang primer na available lang dito.

Tish said...

I'm sure they still have this, Jing. Sarah, the Korean SA, told me that I'm the only one who has ever looked for this primer.

Miss Shopcoholic said...

wow may ganito pala yung EH! Im looking for a cheaper version ng UDPP coz i find it expensive! thanks for the review!