Wednesday, January 13, 2010

In the Spotlight: Maybelline ColorSensational Lipstick in Madison Mauve

Whenever my beloved brings me cosmetics from the US, I always go to malls to check if these are already locally available. To my dismay, however, I'm almost always told, "I'm sorry but we don't have _____ here, ma'am and we won't be bringing the item to the country." This has actually happened to quite a lot of times in the past. Thank goodness my beloved always gets me what I want even without telling him! Well, I don't think I'll be asking him to get more of Maybelline's hottest new item because they're bringing it to us here in the Philippines! How did I find out? Well, I was lurking around the Maybelline counter in Robinson's Galleria during their holiday sale, when the SA mentioned that they'll be bringing this amazing line of lipsticks to the country next month. What is it? It's the ColorSensational Lipstick Line people on the other end of the globe have been endlessly raving about! Ah! Finally! I've been waiting for these forever!

From the Maybelline website:

Why You'll Love It

Fall in love with color, all over again:
  • Crisper color from pure pigments
  • Creamier feel from nourishing honey nectar
  • Lipcolor so rich, so stunning… it’s sensational
  • 48 Captivating Shades

Yay!
  • Pigmentation. The color is very rich.
  • Texture. The lipstick is creamy and applies smoothly on the lips.
  • Finish. While I can't speak of the other shades available, Madison Mauve has quite a glossy finish, there's [almost] no need for a lipgloss. But if you want the extra shine and gloss, then gloss up by all means?
  • Formula. This doesn't feel drying or heavy on the lips. It won't make your lips flake at all.
  • Coverage. It can be applied sheer or heavy, depending on your preference. The color is definitely buildable.
  • Color Range. They have a wide selection of shades from nudes/browns to reds to plums to pinks. They cover everything in the color spectrum (minus the shades you'd never really wear, i.e. blacks, blues, oranges, etc.)!
  • Price. Depending on where you live in the US, Maybelline ColorSensational Lipsticks go for about $7. Not bad for a lipstick, don't you think? In the Philippines, however, I was told that the price will be somewhere in the 200peso range. Still reasonable, I think.
Nay!
  • Color Selection in the Philippines. Maybelline won't be bringing the entire color selection to the Philippines. Just sad.
  • Lasting Power. Just like most lipsticks, this'll probably last you a good 4 to 5hours before the color starts to fade (it probably won't survive eating and drinking. I can't really tell coz I haven't tried), leaving a hint of color and shine on your lips. Honestly, I'm not sure if this is a bad thing since this isn't a colorstay variant.
In Betweens...
  • Scent. While some others complained of a scent that's a cross between coconut and chemical, I noticed only a faint pleasant scent from Madison Mauve. It's nothing close to smelling like chemical or wax, but I'm not quite sure if it's coconutty. Either way, I find it pleasant. Besides, it's not something you'd smell the moment you remove the plastic cap. You'd only notice that faint scent if you take a good whiff off of your tube.
  • Glitter. If you love [high] shine, you'd love this li ne from Maybelline. Like Madison Mauve, I read that a lot of shades in the ColorSensational Lipstick line are glittery. Some complain about the glitters being chunky, gritty and scratchy, which I didn't notice with Madison Mauve.
  • Packaging. Some ladies found the packaging cheap, but I think otherwise. While the plastic cap has the tendency to come off easily in your purse, I actually like how the plastic cap looks like. I also think it's pretty cool how Maybelline color-coordinated the shades under each family - all the reds and peaches have a red plastic cap, the pinks with a pink plastic cap, the purples/mauves with a purple cap and all the browns/nudes with a brown cap. The only thing I don't like about the packaging is that it can be easily scratched. See photo below.


Tips:
  • Always exfoliate and moisturize before applying lipstick.
  • Blot the excess moisture off of your lips.
  • Conceal your lips' pigmentation by applying foundation or concealer. Set with powder. This makes the color of the lipstick appear more true when applied on your lips.
  • If you desire more defined lips, line your lips with a lip liner that's close to the shade of the lipstick. Lining your lips with a lip liner also makes the lipstick stay on your lips for a longer time.
  • If you desire shiny, pouty lips, gloss up.
  • If you want your lips to appear fuller, highlight your Cupid's bow and your lower lip by dabbing a bit of a shimmery powder on the said areas.
  • Want a flawless look? Apply concealer to the edges to correct/erase any mistakes.

Madison Mauve on the lips.
Pardon the photo. This was done in a rush

Just one swipe. It's pretty pigmented, eh?

Like I said, color is buildable.

Will you be snagging some of these babies when they arrive on Philippine shores? I know I will! Leave some for me, please!


5 comments:

Phoebe Limanta said...

the lipstick looks really pretty on you :)

Bea said...

i heard about this. and i soo want to try the shade "pink please" ;]

Anonymous said...

I wanna get one too yay hehe,,,bagay sayo sis=)followed you=)

krissy ♥ said...

Wow, it looks so nice on your lips! Thanks for sharing :)

Tish said...

Thank you, Phoebe :)

Ah, Bea, there's so many shades that I want to try. I don't understand why my beloved got me this shade.

Thank you, sis! I want to get a lot of shades when these arrive next month. Sad thing is, not all of the shades will be here :(

You're welcome, Krissy!