Sunday, April 5, 2009

In the Spotlight: Avon True Porefection Skin Refining Toner

My skin’s not perfect though it appears to be in photos. My skin is, in fact, a combination of normal to dry on the v-zone and normal to oily on the t-zone. I don’t have any issue about my v-zone but my t-zone has always been a major concern for me. Well, okay, my forehead and chin don’t bother me at all; it’s just my nose that does, and no, it’s not because of its shape. If I remember correctly, my nose was never really a problem zone in my younger years although it has somehow become my biggest concern over the last few years. My pores on my nose are visibly large with my bare face and I’m not quite sure what caused it really. Sometimes I wonder if using men’s pore strips when I was a kid (yes, I tried my dad’s pore strips when I was young and I regret doing so) brought forth the enlarged pores on my nose; at other times, I blame it on puberty. Well, I don’t really think I can identify the culprit for my large pores on my nose unless I do a thorough research and study on that one.

Now I’m not sure if there’s any treatment that would help bring my smaller pores back and if there is, it would most certainly cost me a pretty penny. So to make my pores appear somehow smaller on days when I don’t wear make-up, I decided to give some pore minimizers a shot. I did a review on Bioré Pore Minimizing Facial Wash a few months back and now, Avon’s True Pore-Fection Skin Refining Toner is up for the challenge.

What the label says:
True Pore-Fection – a complete pore-perfecting, pimple fighting system with
Pure-Sooth Complex™ to help control oil, and balance and soothe acne-prone skin
Alpha and Beta hydroxy Acids to conquer clogged pores
Salicylic Acid to treat blemishes, pimples, blackheads, and whiteheads, and prevent new ones

True Pore-Fection Skin Refining Toner purifies the skin and instantly reduces oiliness. It helps target blemishes and lifts impurities deep within the pores leaving skin clear and refreshes. Specially formulated with talc powder that gently absorbs excess oil for a soft, smooth, matte, shine-free finish. Hypoallergenic. Dermatologist-tested. Non-comedogenic.

Why I like it:

· True to its claims, it cleanses and mattifies my skin every time I use it.

· It does not smell like alcohol.

· It’s non-drying. I sometimes use it twice a day and my skin doesn’t look or feel dry.

· It does what it promises --- it refined my pores. After a few weeks of using it, I looked in the mirror bare-faced, and scrutinized my nose. My skin is smoother and my pores are definitely smaller! They’re almost invisible!

· It helps heal the occasional zits I get, thanks to my raging hormones.

· The price. If I’m not mistaken, I got this from an Avon lady for Php160 (around $3).

· Locally available.


What disappoints me:

· It’s not all natural. I’m a sucker for all natural stuff because they’re safer to use. Some may be pricey, but it doesn’t bother me as long as they’re effective.

· It has talc. Talc is one of those ingredients I try to stay away from because it’s harmful to our health (this is the reason I’m faithful to mineral make up).

· It also has alcohol.

· It also has parabens.


The Final Verdict:

Despite the product containing talc, alcohol and parabens, I would definitely keep buying this product as it really has reduced my pores’ size by 80%. I also will recommend this product to people with oily skin and enlarged pores.


And so I thought my pores were hopeless. Thanks to Avon for making this product. This is going to be one of my beauty staples for long.

2 comments:

Crystal said...

you're making me want to try this :)

Tish said...

Hi Crystal. I think this one's worth the try. I honestly never believed in pore minimizers until I got to try this. There may be better options out there, but I have yet to discover them; although I am satisfied with this one already. It's pretty much dirt cheap ;)