Tuesday, June 30, 2009

In the Spotlight: Bare Naturals Pigments Review + Swatches + Rants

Hi guys! Hope your day went okay. Mine started out as other days would; but things took a spin in the late afternoon when a unit at the building next to ours burst out in flames. It's a residential building, and it was right next to us. It was freaky and all, but seeing how sluggish our firemen were irked me and made me feel embarrassed about being a Filipino. Don't get me wrong, I am proud of being a Filipino even though Filipinas were once defined as 1. prostitute; 2. domestic helpers in a dictionary of a certain country. Going back to my feeling ashamed about being a Filipino... 1. Our judicial system sucks, big time; 2. Politics makes me sick in my stomach. Don't you find it stupid how some celebrities desire an office in the government, and how some politics die to be in a movie? This and many other things about the government make me wish I was born a different nationality. Shallow, eh? Sometimes it gets to a point when enough is enough. 3. Our rescue teams are a bunch of sluggards. I don't understand what takes our rescue teams too long to get to the area of the incident. The police, the ambulance, the firefighters, etc. In other countries, help comes after a split second. Here in the Philippines, you'll grow old waiting for help to come. That's exactly how the firemen were earlier today. There were firetrucks surrounding the building, but there seems to be no movement of some sort. Well, okay, apart from the spectators wanting to get a view of the burning unit, there was barely any movement among the firemen. They kept sounding their sirens for hours, but as if that would help put the fire out. Our other office manager even said that that's pretty much all that they can do --- sound their siren. The fire went on for more than an hour. It was contained in what my coworkers and I assume to be the living room. Around 6pm, the fire was out. The firemen stood still, but by 8pm or so, the same unit, perhaps the kitchen area, exploded. Yup, something seemed to have exploded and we assume it was a gas tank. There were blue flames and it spread so fast to the other rooms in the unit. An hour later, the fire was out again. I shook my head at the firemen. I appreciate what some firemen do. I mean, c'mon, sacrificing your life to save others' ain't no easy thing to do. But seeing how our firemen are, I just bite my tongue, shake my head, and walk away.

This is the third fire incident in our little area in Ortigas in a month and a half. The first one happened on May 18th. A residential building right behind the Philippine Stock Exchange Center (PSEC) in Ortigas went on fire. A month after, the fourth floor of PSEC was in flames. Roughly a week after, Parc Royale, the condominium next to ours, burst out in flames. I hope the fire doesn't hit my building next. If it does, I sure wouldn't know what to do.


On a lighter note, here's a review and swatches of the twenty-some pigments that I received in my last order from Bare Naturals.

A few weeks ago, I ordered an FS of the Purederm BB cream, primer and liptint from Bare Naturals. Along with my order came free samples of twenty-something pigments and sample bars of Bare Naturals' emu oil skin perfecting soaps in Cocktail and No-Breakout-to-Makeup. To be honest, I was more excited about the freebies that came with my order simply because I have never tried any of their eye products and I was curious about the pigmentation of the eye shadows. So the moment I got my hands on them, I swiped a couple of shades on the back of my hands and admired the pigmentation. A week later, I took out some shades from the bunch and decided to play with them. I was even more amazed when I applied them on my lids. They're all finely milled and extremely pigmented. They apply so smoothly and blend seamlessly with other colors. They'll be no fallouts granted you don't put too much on your brushes. To give you a glimpse of how pretty these pigments are, I provided a few swatches of the colors that I got for free. Thanks Ms. Lami!

The pigments were swatched dry, wet and with UDPP as base (photos are labeled). All the pictures were taken with my trusty old Sony Cybershot at my room's window. I might change the photos once my brother and I get to taking better pictures of the pigments. For the meantime, these will do. (Click to enlarge photos)

The Pinks/Reds (all shimmer)

Dizzy - a fuschia shade with red and golden undertones
Vintage - another fuschia shade but with purple and gold undertones
Bordeaux (Monave) - almost identical to Vintage, except that it seems more subtle




Colors that don't belong to any group :)

Trance -
lavender with a bit of shimmer
Famous -
shimmery pale yellow that looks like a bit lime green-ish
Celebration -
white shimmer (perfect as base and for the inner corner/ducts)
No name shade - this is the first eye shadow sample I received a long time ago. I just thought I'd throw it in. It's a shimmery baby blue shade; color payoff's not as vibrant as the new batch of pigments




Some Browns & a pearly one

Jet Setter -
a rich shimmery coppery/bronzey shade
Mod -
shimmery gold
Broadway -
reddish brown with satin finish
Whimsy -
pearl white/pale lavender


Browns/Bronzes

Rustique -
bronze pigment
Twilight -
medium brown with satin finish
Urban -
a deep matte taupe
Supernova -
shimmery pale taupe



Blues & a Purple one

Cosmo -
shimmery royal blue
Soul -
shimmery sky blue
Superb -
shimmery powder blue
Luck -
shimmery pale aquamarine
Stiletto -
shimmery purple


Greens

Soldier -
rich olive green
Splash -
shimmery green
Tealy Eyed -
a beautiful teal shade
Lush -
a pretty turquoise shade


What I love about them?
  • Color payoff is remarkable
  • Staying power is great
  • Price. Selling at Php 135 (roughly $2) a pop.
  • Finely milled
What I don't like about them?
  • As you can see in the photos, the colors are not as vibrant as when they're used wet or with a base.
  • Range of colors is not that wide. (this is just 20something of Bare Naturals' 30+ pigments)
Will I buy a full size pot?
Most certainly! In fact, I've already listed down some pigments that I will be including in my next purchase.

For inquiries, visit their website or email Ms. Lami at barenaturals@gmail.com. It might take her a while to respond (she gave birth to her third child just recently), but she surely will.

That's it guys. I apologize for the extremly long post today. I just had to rant a bit.

Will you try out their pigments? You should!


12 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow those are some pretty ass colors :)

C. said...

these colors are very nice and pigmented! have fun playing with them :)

Jem said...

i understand what you are saying about the 'negative' sides...
*sigh*
but i don't think we can do something about it...especially on the politics part..
as what they say.. politics is politics...

the colors look vibrant...especially the pinks...i also love the celebration & whimsy!
^_^

Tish said...

@Elisa Marie: they are indeed pretty colors.

@C: I'm having fun playing them; thank God they're free.

Tish said...

@Thiamere: Yeah, it makes me feel sad. Anyway, I love the pinks and stiletto. I've used those more than twice already.

MK said...

wow, they're so pretty! ! =P makes me want to buy myself some.. heheh

and i am glad to hear that you are safe. Considering that the firefighters practically let the building burn down before trying to put the fire down. hopefully that will be the last building to burn down.

Tish said...

Hi MK! I, myself, can't help but place an FS of some of the shades. I wish I could buy all, but I've been going on retail therapy for the last month. Haha!

Yeah. I'm hoping the fire doesn't get to our building any time soon. Well, I hope they'll be no more fire incidents. They're starting to freak me out already! hehe

Ailurophile said...

Sorry to hear about the inefficiency of firemen. I have some Filipino friends and they are all wonderful people :)

Tish said...

Hey Ailurophile. Filipinos are generally wonderful people; however, when it comes to work, a lot can be very inefficient and irresponsible. I should know. I'm a manager and I give warnings and memos almost everyday. Not a good thing, but people can be that way at times.

Golden said...

Hi Tish! By the way, thanks for following my blog.

We do have the same sentiments with regard to us being Filipinos. Oh well, I hope we become a better country with better people. Anyhoo, I love those e/s. They really are pigmented!

And sis, you have an award from me. Check it out at: http://goldensdiary.blogspot.com/2009/07/i-got-5-awards.html

Thanks so much!

Lots of love,
Golden

Tish said...

Hi Golden! Thanks for stopping by.

Ah, such events make me feel frustrated. Nevertheless, I'm still a Filipino and proud to be one.

As for the eyeshadows (from what I know, Ms. Lami is going to market them as pigments) are undeniably pretty and pigmented. I'm trying to stop myself my getting all colors coz I've been on retail therapy for more than a month already. Sheesh!

Thanks for the award! Will try to post them within the day.

:)

Miss Yaya said...

these are such great swatches! good for you for being so patient to do them all!